Standard entry requirements

Whether you’re a recent school leaver or not, there are a number of standard admission pathways into an undergraduate degree at Murdoch.

Using your ATAR

If you’ve graduated from high school recently or a while ago, the usual way to qualify for admission to Murdoch is with:

  • A Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) with at least four ATAR courses of study, or an interstate or international equivalent
  • A scaled mark of at least 50 in ATAR English, Literature or English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EALD)
  • A competitive Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR), which is calculated from your school and exam results. Check the minimum ATAR you would need for your course before you apply.

Even if it’s been a while since you finished Year 12, your exam results are valid indefinitely. Scores obtained since 1992 can be converted to an ATAR using the TISC ATAR calculator.

If your school is part of Murdoch’s ATAR RISE program, or you live in a RISE postcode, your ATAR could be boosted by as much as ten points. Find out more about ATAR RISE.

If you’re unsure whether you have an ATAR, or just want to have a chat about your situation before you apply, contact our Student Centre.

You still have options if you don’t have an ATAR

If you’re at least 20 years old and don’t have any qualifications or didn’t finish high school, you can apply for entry to Murdoch by sitting the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT). Here’s what you need to know about the STAT: 

  • The STAT is a nationally-recognised test which assesses your abilities for learning at university. It focuses on critical thinking and reasoning skills rather than specific knowledge.
  • For entry into most of our undergraduate courses, you’ll need to achieve a STAT score of at least 140 in the Written English section and 135 in the Multiple Choice section for tests taken after February 2010. If you took the test before February 2010, you need a minimum score of 145 in both the Written English and Multiple Choice sections.
  • You can’t use the STAT to apply for direct entry to Law or Veterinary Science. Make sure you check the minimum entry requirements for your course before applying.

Register for one of our STAT preparation courses or book through TISC to sit the STAT

To find out more, download the following documents:

Your TAFE qualification may count

A Certificate IV or higher completed at TAFE or Polytechnic will qualify you for entry to most of our courses, as long as you meet the minimum English requirements. 

Check the minimum entry requirements for your course before applying

Previous study at university

Once you start uni you’re not locked into a particular course. You can change courses and universities to find the one that’s right for you. Once you have completed two units of uni study you can use those to apply to study at Murdoch. 

Even if you’ve been out of uni for a while, we’ll consider your previous study for entry. If it wasn’t too long ago, you might be able to get credits or exemptions towards your new degree, reducing the time it takes to graduate. 

Learn more about credits or exemptions

English language proficiency

University study involves building your communication skills including giving verbal presentations and a lot of written assignments and assessments. All of our students need to meet our minimum English requirements.

Ready to apply?

If you’ve decided what to study and know the entry requirements for your course, take the next step and apply to Murdoch.

Apply Now